Thursday, April 15, 2010

Religion vs. Relationship

If anyone knows me they know that I am a devout christian with a wild spirit.  That's the best way I can describe myself.  I was never a quiet personality.  I'm loud, outgoing, outspoken, and I love to have fun.  I enjoy music, sports, entertainment, fashion and still have a strong commitment to my RELATIONSHIP with Christ.  Of course I make mistakes in my life and I'm no where near perfect but I respect, fear, and love God, and follow his commandments and I'm the same person around everyone.  I believe that some saints go wrong when they get so caught up in religion they forget about relationship.  This world doesnt define me nor does the church I attend define me, but who I am in Christ defines me.  He made me this way for a reason.  So many people run from the church because Christians can be so pretentious, they get so caught up they forget how to actually relate to people and show love. There is so much focus on what a person should be wearing, how they hair should be fixed, the outside appearance and their insides are filthy.  They walk around with a chip on their shoulder and are forever guarded and then have the audacity to want to minister to others.  Whose going to listen to you if you're that uptight.  Honestly who can feel comfortable around that. 

People tend to forget that change is a process not an event, and the changes that occur on the inside will reflect on the outside.  God works on the innerman and then moves to the outer.  It really shouldnt matter whether or not my hair is locked or my skirt hemline is on the ground, or whether I worship on saturday or wednesday.  God reveals different things to us in each of our walks so that we may grow and help others, not impose our personal views.  When we get caught up in the above matters then it becomes more religious work.  I know for a fact that many of my friends know where I stand when it comes to my walk with Christ.  They also feel comfortable enough to seek advice and talk to me without feeling judged.  My example of living, my attitude had compelled some of them to seek him as well.  We should be inspiring others not making them run away. We all talk about Jesus and his walk but if you really study Jesus you would see, he had compassion for everyone.  He ministered to their needs without damning them to hell, he listened before he tried to fix a problem, and all those he helped felt comfortable enough to come to him.  He inpired others to talk about living right and didnt impose physical retraints on them, and he loved unconditionally.  Now dont get me wrong, he did call out people's wrongs but mostly the hypocrites who were calling themselves Christians but were really acting like heathens in their attitudes and he didnt sugar coat SIN!

God is working on me daily and my prayer is that I continue to inspire those around me to love Christ as much as I do and not make them run.

No comments:

Post a Comment